- Series: General Topics
Lessons from Nothing
1. God created something out of nothing.
2. We carried nothing into this world and will carry nothing out.
3. Without Christ, we can do nothing.
1. GOD CREATED SOMETHING FROM NOTHING.
A. Gen. 1:1
1. God spoke everything into existence.
A. God said, “Let there be light.”
1. Gen. 1:3
A. Before He spoke, there was no light.
B. God is the something that has always existed.
A. Evolutionists must believe something always existed.
1. A rule of nature is that something cannot come from nothing.
A. If there is nothing, it will continue to be nothing.
1. Therefore, the evolutionist has to say that dead matter has always existed.
A. And from dead matter came living matter.
2. This poses another problem with the rules of nature.
A. Something dead cannot produce something that is alive.
B. Questions to ask the evolutionist.
1. If nothing can come from nothing, then where did the dead matter that always existed come from?
2. How did something that is dead create something that is alive?
C. What evolution cannot answer, God does.
1. God existed before time.
A. Rev. 1:8; 22:13
B. Ps. 90:2
D. God is alive.
2. Matt. 10:21
3. 2 Cor. 3:3
E. God is able to create life.
1. John 1:1-3
2. Col. 1:16
3. Eph. 3:9
2. WE CARRIED NOTHING INTO THIS WORLD AND WILL CARRY NOTHING OUT.
A. We can become too attached to this world.
1. Phil. 1:23-24 Paul said “For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.”
A. Paul realized that this world is not his home but a temporary dwelling place.
1. We sing a song, “This world is not my home; I’m just a passing through.”
A. This concept is exactly right.
1. 1 Peter 2:11
2. It can be easy to get caught up in the things of this world.
A. Luke 12:15
1. Remember the rich fool.
A. Luke 12:16-21
1. No matter how much we have, it does no good if we are dead.
2. He built bigger barns, but what good were they?
3. He had much, but what good to him was it?
4. No matter how much we have when we are alive, we cannot take it with us when we are dead.
2. How about the young rich ruler?
A. Matt. 19:16-26
1. This person came to God with a question.
A. What shall I do to inherit eternal life?
1. Matt. 19:17 Jesus said, “keep the commandments.”
2. There are two things we learn from this answer.
A. We must keep the commandments of God.
1. Matt. 19:20
B. There is more to serving God than just showing up.
2. Matt. 19:21 Attitude
B. We also learn that this rich man’s possessions were more important than serving God.
1. Even though he would not part with his things, he realized he could not take them with him.
A. Matt. 19:22
3. These two had a problem: they could not take their wealth with them to heaven.
3. WITHOUT CHRIST, WE CAN DO NOTHING.
A. Anything we do apart from Christ profits nothing.
1. Matt. 16:26
A. Even if we had all the money in the world, we could not buy heaven.
1. Mark 8:37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
A. We are helpless to save ourselves.
1. Even when we are obedient, we are still unprofitable servants.
A. Luke 17:10
2. We owe a debt that we cannot ever pay.
A. Sin is our debt and we all have sinned.
1. Rom 3:23
B. Because of that sin, we have earned the wage of death.
1. Rom. 6:26
3. But Christ paid that debt and redeemed us.
A. Acts 20:28
B. Gal. 3:13
C. 1 Peter 1:18
1. Lessons from nothing:
A. God created us from nothing.
B. We brought nothing into this world and can take nothing out.
C. Without Christ, we can do nothing.
D. Therefore, we owe Christ nothing less than everything.