- Series: The Parable of the Tares
The Parable of the Tares - Part One
1. What is the kingdom of heaven? (vs. 24)
2. What is the field? (vs. 24)
3. Who is the enemy? (vs. 25)
1. WHAT IS THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN VS 24?
A. The kingdom of heaven would be the Church.
1. If we look back at the text and notice that there are still tares if this was referring to heaven all the tares would be gone.
A. Verses 24-25 “Another parable He put forth to them, saying ‘The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way.’”
1. Sin cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven referring to Heaven as the place of final rest or reward.
A. 1 Cor. 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?
2. Sin separates from God.
A. Notice verse 30 the wheat and the tears are separated at the judgment.
1. Isa. 59:1-2 Behold, the LORD’s hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor his ear heavy, That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated your from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.
2. Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
2. The Phrase “Kingdom of Heaven” is used to refer to both:
1. Matt. 5:20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribbles and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.
2. Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
B. The Church:
1. Matt. 3:2 Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
2. Matt. 4:7 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
A. Something that is at hand is within reach.
1. Luke 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
A. If the kingdom of God has not come then we have someone with some really long arms and they are about 2,000 years old as well.
C. So the “Kingdom of heaven can refer to both heaven and the Church. One has to look at the context to decide which is the case.
1. The text that we are discussing refers to the Church or there would be sin in heaven.
2. Notice that the good seed is referred to as being sons of the kingdom.
A. Matt. 13:38 The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom.
3. Now notice that the tares are not referred to as son of the kingdom but of the wicked one.
A. Both are in the field the world.
1. One is referred to as being part of the kingdom the other is not.
A. The difference is the sower:
1. Jesus sowed the good seed.
2. The devil sowed the tares.
2. WHAT IS THE FIELD? (VS. 24)
A. Jesus’ disciples ask him to explain the parable of the tares.
1. The best way to explain a passage is to let the bible give its own explanation.
A. Jesus explains the parable of the tares.
1. Matt. 13:36-43
2. In this explanation Jesus says that the field is the world.
A. Matt. 13:38
1. This easy to understand because Jesus comes right out and says this.
A. He makes no mention of the field being the kingdom of heaven.
1. Though he does mention two different kingdoms in His answer to the parable of the tares.
A. The kingdom of the Son. (vs. 41)
1. The son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness.
2. There are people pretending to be a part of the kingdom but in reality are the seed sown of the devil.
A. Some tares mimic the wheat so well that the difference can only be seen by God who knows the heart.
1. 1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.
B. The kingdom of the Father is the other kingdom that is mentioned. (vs. 43)
1. This kingdom is the overall rule of the Father. Matt. 26:29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Fathers kingdom.
2. The field is the world and the world has both the good seed and the tares in it.
A. Matt 13:25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way.
1. The tares were among the wheat.
A. The good seed were the sons of the kingdom—the Church.
B. The tare are the sons of the wicked one and they are pretending to be the wheat therefor are pretending to be—The Chruch.
C. God knows the difference man does not.
1. The servants want to remove the tares but are told they are not to because they could also uproot the wheat. (vs. 27-28)
3. WHO IS THE ENEMY? (VS. 25)
A. The enemy snuck in and sowed tares among the wheat.
1. So who is the enemy Jesus tells them in verse 39.
A. Matt. 13:39 The enemy who sowed them is the devil.
1. 1 Peter calls the devil our adversary.
A. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
1. The word adversary is defined as—a person, group, etc., that opposes or attacks; opponent; enemy.
B. We are told to resist the devil and he will flee from you.
1. James 4:7
C. We are told quite often to flee from the works of the Devil.
1. 1 Cor. 6:18 Flee sexual immorality
2. 1 Cor. 10:14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
3. 1 Tim. 6:10-11 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience.
4. 2 Tim. 2:22 Flee youthful lust; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
D. The devil is powerful and we will find ourselves in his web of deceit if we do not resist him.
1. We should always be seeking the truth.
A. John 8:32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
2. We should be running toward the kingdom of God and away from the devil.
A. Matt. 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
E. If we are not very careful we can still find ourselves in his web of lies for he is the father of lies.
1. John 8:43 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
F. If we have not a love of the truth we will fall for the lie of Satan.
1. 2 Thess. 2:10-11 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
1. We looked at what the kingdom referred to in the kingdom of tares.
2. We then look at what the field was in the parable of the tares.
3. We look at who the enemy was.
4. As we close we need to ask the question are we among the wheat or the tares?
A. Are we the sons of the kingdom or of the wicked one.